Yes, she was 13 months old. Don't judge me.
It went surprisingly well considering her age, and the fact that she's very, shall we say, opinionated. She throws one heck of a tantrum. Happy one second, mad as a hungry pitbull the next.
I wasn't nervous until the church service started and she was instantly bored. Within five minutes we had read several books, tore up the bulletin, and played the 'let's point at everything and ask what it is' game. I had forgotten the everlovin' Gerber Puffs which I usually keep in every bag/purse I have because, duh!
OK, now it's our turn to go front and center. All eyes on us.
Pastor starts his baptism spiel and Avery listens for .00005 seconds.
We point at the fans and the holy water for another 5.6 seconds.
She starts to pick her nose because that just felt like the thing to do in that moment.
She spots Grandma sitting right in front of us.
Grandma, grandma grandmagrandmagrandma, I. can't. reach. you. GRANDMA maybe if I kick and squirm a little. Nope, stupid Mom won't let me go and she keeps rambling on about the stupid fans we already looked at. Still CAN'T REACH YOU! Maybe if I yell Mom will understand that I WANT YOU TO HOLD ME NOW!!! GRANDMAGRANDMAGRANDMA!!
Grandma moves out of eyesight.
Well, hmm, now I'm bored again. I want down so I can run with the wind from the fans we've been staring at this whole service. Put me down Mom, MOMOMOMOMOMOMOMOMOM, PUT ME D....oh what is that fascinating noise your making with that water, Pastor? Mom would like to know where she can get her some of that holy water because it's hypnotizing me and making me less tantrumy and more relaxy.
So it was a slight struggle but we made it through alive.
My four month old nephew also got baptized during the service and he was a saint! Probably thoroughly entertained watching Avery have a meltdown.
Afterwards, my sister and I hosted lunch and cake in the Fellowship Hall and it worked out great, we were surrounded by lots of family and lots of love!
| Shayla (Godmother), Pastor Jeff, Avery and Me, Josh and Alexa, Adam and Courtney (also Godparents) |
Now, go pray for me, Lord knows I need it!
Check ya later,
Teisha
LOVE your reenactment!
ReplyDeleteLOL! Funniest baptism recap e-vah!
ReplyDelete