This is my first opinion-y-ish post and I'm a little nervous about it.
That's why it's getting posted on Saturday. The innernets close on Saturday, right?
Let me have a drink first.
...
There, now I'm QUEEN OF THE WORLD! Can't nobody take my pride, can't nobody hold me down, oh no, I got to keep on movin'.
Alrighty then.
Being a mom is the hardest job a woman will ever have to do.
To be responsible for another human's life and well-being, nurturing them to be a stable person of society, feeding them, bathing them, clipping their fingernails, wiping their nose, kissing their ouchies, being their role model and trying not to fail miserably is a lot of work.
In today's society there is a lot of pressure for women to be 'perfect.' Perfect post baby body (there is no such thing, anything in the magazine's is airbrushed, that's what I tell myself at least), perfect wife (FAIL), perfect mother.
Is there such a thing as a flawless Mom?
I don't think so.
I know I'm not.
I also know you're not, and you're not, and you're not, and no not even you.
I also love you for it.
As long as you're doing the best you can and not beating or starving your kid or leaving them with a deadbeat boyfriend or something, you're full of the awesome in my book.
It makes me sad that celebrities are using their status and the ability to use the media as a platform to state their judgey opinions and show off their airbrushed bodies therein making mothers all over feel shitty about themselves.
Take asshat Gisele for instance, saying all mothers should be required by law to breastfeed their babies for six months. Um, SHUT YOUR FACE Gisele. Who the fuck are you to judge an emotional hormonal potentially unstable new mom for not breastfeeding for reasons you didn't even bother to listen to.
I try not to judge other parents. Except for Matthew Mcdouchey and his wife who made a placenta slushy and ATE IT. Now, that, is weird.
I wish upon a star that mom's would stop putting other mom's down and shouting from the rooftops that their way is the one and only right way. If a new mom asks me a question or for advice first I turn around to see if there is somebody standing behind me because surely you're not asking me, secondly I give the disclaimer: this is how I do it but it may not be right for you. Which is fine.
I'm a firm believer in 'motherly instinct' THANK GOD because without it, I. would. be. lost.
I don't exactly know what the point is, other than I wish we could all just pour a martini and celebrate our differences and different ways of doing things. I know becoming a mom changes a person and the happiness and well being of your child is suddenly the most important thing you do, above all else. I also know that losing yourself in the process and listening to the pressures of society and other judgey mom's and randoms in the grocery store who think they know more than you can break a person.
To that I say FUCK OFF HATERS!
Phew, I'm glad that's over.
Now, let the stones fly!
Agreed!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAmen!
ReplyDelete(good post)
Placenta slushy - barf.
I'm with you on this one. Generally speaking celebrities need to shut the hell up and go back to not eating and posing for pictures. It's what they do best.
ReplyDeletePS I used to know some hippies who ate the placenta, too. *shudder*