Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Mommy Rant

Being a mom is hard.

She preaches to the choir.

But, being a mom who still has her own identity and is absolutely fabulous is even harder yet.

People tend to judge those moms and shoot them the side-eye from atop their pedestal.  And by people I typically mean other mom's, who are no better than the bullies taunting their kid in school.

Why is that?  What sort of satisfaction do they get from putting another mom down because she went out with a group of her girlfriends and left her kids home with The Husband?  Or, didn't rush home after work but instead went grocery shopping alone (mini mom vacation minus the umbrella drinks) or met an old friend for supper (and had an umbrella drink).

I see and hear a lot of mom's, on blogs and IRL, that get off on picking fights because this mom or that mom doesn't do exactly as she does.

Like breast or bottle.  Or co-sleep vs. separate beds.  Or Benadryl vs. Tylenol.  I'm half kidding.  Or cry it out vs. a more attachment parenting approach.

To all of these topics I say, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK.  As long as you're doing what feels right to you and you're not beating the shit out of your kids or starving them because, duh, then you really do suck at life and need a swift punch to the taco.

Side-note: in all honesty I will shoot you the side-eye and whisper behind your back if your five year old lifts up your shirt to take a sip of the goodness.  AWKWARD.

I have never met a mom who's first priority in life isn't making their kids happy.  Have you?  We all want what's best for our kids.

We just may have different opinions on what that is.

Also, only making your kids happy and losing yourself in the process is no bueno.  Your happiness and well-being is just as important as your kids' and husbands' and Charlie Sheen's is.  If that means happy pills or a little wine and a good book or all of the above then by all means, indulge yourself.  You deserve it.

Do not let anybody tell you that you're being selfish for going out and getting that mani/pedi that you want.  Or that you don't deserve to get dressed up and go out for drinks with the girls.  Or on a date The Hubs.  Do it.  Your soul will thank you.

Be who you are, be real, and make no apologies for that.

::hops down from soap box::

12 comments:

  1. Hurrah! If only everybody was 'real' everything would be much simpler and happier I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you hear my applause?

    ReplyDelete
  3. *clapping LOUDLY* Abso-fucking-smurfly!!!! I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to also call the taco-punch a "c*** punt". I know this is a family blog (wink wink), that's why I starred that word (it really is a pretty awful word) - but when people deserve it, it's okay to say it!

    Anyway - awesome post. And I agree with every. word. you. wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, what you said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome post! and agree on it... i don't have kids but my friends do and you're absolutely right... i really enjoyed reading this. thanks!
    love,
    Jello

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you say fuck, it may or may not turn me on. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi following you
    from B.Y.B.F! Hope
    you visit me and
    return the follow!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen. Especially to the 5 yr old part ;) and the taco punch...classic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog! Following you from blog hop.. I'm Opal from opalstevens.blogspot.com, hope you can check it out sometime.. :D

    ReplyDelete

Love you long time!