Ever since we went to a visitation a couple months ago Alexa has been trying to figure out the concept of death.
I don't even understand the concept of death and now I have to try and explain it to an innocent little child without totally freaking her out?
Again, whoever thought I could be in charge of raising another human being should be fired.
Anygrimreaper, here is an excerpt from one of our conversations regarding death and dying.
Just read it, it's funny not all debbie downerish.
Hey mom?
I don't want my eye to fall out.
Would I die?
No.
.....
Mom, if somebody cut my head off would I die?
Um, yes, but nobody would ever cut your head off.
You would never cut my head off?
No. Never.
Yeh, cause that is supah supah naughty.
Yeh.
I would just run away.
That's a good idea, just run away. And besides, I would save you if anyone was trying to hurt you and remember nobody is ever going to cut your head off.
Yeh, cause that's supah naughty.
.....
Well, witches are mean so they might, but you're a big kid so you'd save me.
OR I could save you Mom.
With a knife.
In my pocket.
Well, we shouldn't have knives in our pockets, that sounds dangerous.
Yeh, it might poke me.
I'll just leave it at home.
Do we have knives at home?
Yes, but we only use knives to cut our food.
*ponders* We don't eat people do we?
No.
Well, crocodiles eat people. Do crocodiles eat people?
Ummm, hey Alexa look at the cool clouds in the sky!
End scene, thank God.
I also assured her that people usually don't die until they are very old.
She's all, yeh like when their face hangs down?
Ahhh, the honesty of children is a beautiful thing.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ReplyDeleteOMG! That is soo good :) Thanks for the morning laugh!! HaHa
ReplyDeleteHilarious! My favorite comment is about when their face hangs down - that means they're old! Ha!
ReplyDeleteHA! I was laughing so hard at that, out loud, at work, that I was crying! Alexa stories can always cheer me up! :)
ReplyDeleteHAAAA!
ReplyDeleteJase got fish for his birthday and of course, they died. I tried explaining death too ... and just said, "They died." Of course I got, "What is died?" to which I answered, "They aren't alive anymore. They aren't living." And then I got another, "But what does died MEAN?" Ryan chimed in, "It means they can't swim anymore" ......
True. Very true. But wait til a person dies and Jase thinks "they can't swim anymore." I seriously don't think there is a good answer to death questions for kiddos this age!
Alexa never ceases to amaze me - she is damn hilarious!!!
"when their face hangs down" oh out of the mouths of babes...it hurts to know she is sooooo correct. I nearly wet my pants laughing so hard...another age thing, oh bother, I'm done. Keep blogging T I love it all....
ReplyDelete