Monday, January 17, 2011

Another Weekend Of Frozen Boogers And Nervous Toddlers

This past weekend we went up to Min-uh-sohta for my newest nephew's baptism.

Six hours in the car is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long for a certain little one and half year old.  She quietly ear piercingly make your toes curl kind of way told us her thoughts about the whole ordeal the entire way there.  Pausing ten minutes for a cat nap.  Ten minutes, people!

This short of a nap does strange things to a toddler that we got to experience later on in the night.

After safely arriving to the hotel Alexa soon decided she wanted to swim.  Avery decided she just wanted to run a marathon around the pool and give her mom eleventy billion mini heart attacks.

Alexa found a little friend so she was perfectly content.  I'm quite certain she even forgot we were there.

Finally the new baby arrives and Avery proceeds to poke him in the eye and lovingly punch him in the face.

Then we decided on supper at the hotel restaurant where I considered asking the waiter if he knew of any local exorcists.

I was hoping and praying for a cocktail of Xanax and vodka but I had to settle for a good old fashioned Coca Cola.  You see, Josh's family doesn't drink and I'm pretty sure if I would have ordered an alcoholic drink his grandma would have gotten up and walked away while praying for my soul.  She's awesome.  If awesome means she's an asshole.

After supper we got to do a little baby bonding.

Mini me who loves her some baby


Last time we came to Minnesota I learned that Avery's nerves switch to full speed when she's in a strange place, i.e., hotel room.  This little fact still holds true.  She would rather wander the halls and several times threw herself on the floor in a defiant gesture when she thought I was going to pick her up and bring her in the room.

She also loves the elevator.  Loves. it.  The devil took over her body when I made her get out after the 98th time of going up and down.  Also, the elevator buttons need to be a little higher please and thank you.

Finally bedtime, where we got to sleep about 94.27 minutes.

Sweet.

So, baptism day.  8:30 lobby call to head out for breakfast.  By some sort of miracle (Grandma and Grandpa helping with Avery) we made it down on time.


Breakfast. Fairly uneventful thank you Jesus.

Baptism.  Avery had to be escorted from the premises.

Luncheon.  Delicious.  People kept commenting on how tired Avery looked.  Poor kid was struggling with some hefty demons.  Her nerves were shot and she was going on little sleep.  Alexa hooked up with another little girl and was in heaven.

Drive home.  Repeat experience of drive there, except she graced us with an hour long nap.

I managed to misplace her little bowl so she went on full feed
I'm so glad the weather cooperated and we were able to go meet the new little man and see the baptism.

I'm also glad the weekend is over.

6 comments:

  1. I can't stand travelling with my three year old. Five hours back and forth to Houston and she fell asleep four hours and forty five minutes into the drive. Which means a fifteen minute nap and crank city. Both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE little guy! Sounds like some fun travels. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Grandma is mormon. Also sounds like *everyone* could have used some Xanax, kids included.

    car trips = hell

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is freakin' hilarious! You know that Avery is "normal" right? We also had a fun experience at a hotel this weekend, and if by fun, you mean, me going up to the room with the kids at 10:30 at my family Christmas - them not falling asleep because of "nervousness" until 11:30, my drunk husband beating down the door at 4 in the morning because he's too drunk to figure out how to get in, then, having a crying baby all morning and a hungover husband, then yes, we had a "fun" experience! :) (PS, my mom was sick and couldn't make it, otherwise, I would have been more drunk than him! Am I just bitter and jealous? Yes! But at least I felt like a $1M yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping in from SITs! You're so funny -- I hate taking car trips with my kids. That's why we always fly so we can make everyone as miserable as we are on the trip :) Can't wait to read more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh geez, the grandmother...too horrible but yet hilarious for those of us on the outside.

    And you know you're right about the elevator buttons. What were they thinking on that placement?

    ReplyDelete

Love you long time!